Makeup is a wonderful way of highlighting one’s features. Makeup works in two directions. On one hand it helps in hiding your imperfections while on the other hand it can emphasize your strengths. It can completely transform you into a whole new person in terms of physical appearance. That is the reason why some of the quality makeup products have become so popular over the time.
While we focus a lot on different makeup products and how one product is suitable for a person and unsuitable for another, we never talk about how they should be used in the most correct manner in order to get the desired results. In fact the real key lies in how you do makeup rather than what kind of makeup you have. Correct application of makeup is one of the most important factors which decide whether the makeup looks natural or not.
You can learn from the professionals that how to apply certain products correctly or you can experiment at home and learn from your attempts. To ensure that you are applying a product correctly, you should own quality makeup applicators and brushes. Use of makeup brushes is very important not only for proper application purpose but for hygiene purposes as well. If you are using your hands which are even a tiny bit dirty or because of the use of germ-infested makeup applicators, your skin can get infected and it can ultimately result in inflammation and skin irregularities.
Types of makeup brushes and their uses
There are several types of professional makeup brushes, but I will only cover a few that I think you will need for your everyday makeup application:
- Application brush – It is usually synthetic and the bristles are straight and firm. This brush is used to apply eye shadow and concealer to the areas needed. You can usually find them in small or large sizes, but choose the size based on your need.
- Angle brush – This is my personal favorite, because it is typically used to apply eyeliner and to fill in sparse areas of my eyebrows with eye shadow. The angle brush contains synthetic bristles as well, and is very firm and slanted (at an angle). I highly recommend this brush if you experience difficulties in applying eyeliner because you can “connect the dots” in order to form a straight line.
- Blending brush – Widely available in natural bristles, this fluffy brush is used to blend eye shadows on the eyelids to create a softer look. Please note that the smaller brush heads are used for more concentrated blending, and the larger heads tend to spread out the eye shadow pigment. Choose the head based on the result you are trying to achieve.
- Powder/Blush brush – Also available in natural bristles, this brush is small enough to apply powder to the face, and large enough to dust blush onto the cheeks. Because the bristles are tapered, it blends really well, and the larger head makes for even distribution.
- Face Foundation Brush: For applying liquid or mineral basis over the face neck and even on the back you will need a basis brush. They’ve flat and lengthy bristles that taper on the tips. It may be used for contact up of the foundation as well as for application.
- Concealer Brush: A concealer brush may be used to apply concealer to parts of flaws on the facial skin. This brush excellently helps hide blemishes, acne, and imperfect body tone.
How to clean your makeup brushes at home
Makeup brushes are an important part of any makeup kit or set that a person uses. People who use makeup everyday use these brushes in their daily routine, thus increasing their importance. There are different types of makeup brushes used for applying the blush or the eye shadow, and over time bacteria and dust accumulate in all of these brushes. The accumulation of bacteria amongst other things can make these brushes harmful to use on the skin since it may aggravate already occurring skin diseases or cause the breakout of acne. These are some easy steps telling you how to clean makeup brushes at home so that you can make sure your makeup habits are healthy.
3 Steps to clean your makeup brushes
- The first step is to rinse the brush under some warm water. It is important to make sure that the water is warm and not too hot. This is because most makeup brushes use a glue to make the bristles stick together, using hot water causes the glue to melt, thus ruining the brush.
- The next step is to apply some soap on your hand and softly swirl the brush on top. Do not apply too much pressure since this can distort the shape of the brush. It is better to use the makeup brush cleansers available on the market but if you do not have access to that then face wash or any anti-bacterial soap can also serve as a replacement. You can also use baby shampoo.
Once you’ve made sure that you have cleaned all the bristles, the next step is to once again rinse the brush under warm water to clean off the soap or whichever cleaning material you have used. Make sure that all the cleaning material is off the brush. Once again be careful to not use too much pressure.
- The final step is to gently dry the brush on a towel. Do not try to dry it using the towel but just rub the brush on the towel very gently. Leave the brush to dry in the air.
Other Clean Makeup Habits
While it is important to keep your makeup brushes clean you should also take care, that any other makeup tools that come in direct contact with your skin every day, are also kept clean. This includes things like the mascara you use. Making sure the makeup you use is clean will help prevent the breakout of acne, keeping your skin healthy.
With the help of all these brushes and a little experience on how to use these brushes proficiently, you can create exceptional looks for yourself, which can go with all kinds of different moods and occasions. Choose a set of brushes carefully and complete your makeup kit today. You can buy brushes and other makeup applicators from a beauty store or you can order them online. Many online stores offer valuable discounts on makeup brushes (individual as well as kit of brushes).
Please share if you find this article helpful. Good luck!